Thursday, February 7, 2008

Grinning

On the phone at my desk, 10:30 a.m.

My cheeks almost hurt from the gigantic grin that's been spreading over my face for the last 10 minutes. I just hung up from a phone conversation with Linda Smiley of the Cob Cottage Company, talking about registering for their 8-day Complete Cob building workshop in June. I've been wanting to attend this workshop for several years, and the knowledge that I'm finally going to is enough in itself to make me smile. But what's really making me grin is the possibility of doing a work exchange for an entire week before the workshop. Not only will I get the workshop for half-price (and that's no small change), but I'll basically be getting an extra week of instruction and practical experience - double the fun for half the price! Now, if that's not enough to make you grin, I don't know what is.



Follow-up moment, 10:50 a.m.

Linda just called me back, and it turns out that the work exchange will be 15 days in order to get half off the price of the workshop (essentially, "earning" $30/day). I've got conflicting feelings about this - dueling emotions of apprehension and eagerness. Part of me thinks it's a lot for them to ask, part of me gets antsy at the thought of leaving my apartment for another 3 1/2 weeks straight (not that I'm worried about my apartment, it's just hard to stomach the thought that I'm paying for it while I'm not making any money and when I'm not living there for a almost month at a time), part of me argues that the additional 8 days will just give me even more experience and I may as well do it while I have the flexibility. I can break it up into two weeks if I want, and do one week right before the workshop and the other at some other time - now I just have to figure out if I want to do that or if I'd rather lump it all together. Remember: pay attention to your gut.

No comments: